Commercial Bank of Ceylon PLC March 2009 – August 2009
[Networking and Communications – IT]
Network Engineer [Executive Officer 1B]
Planning, implementing Supporting and administration of the voice and e‐mail and Internet infrastructure.
To maintain a robust, secure and high performance Network:
Maximum availability of Network, Email & Internet Infrastructure
a) Unplanned downtime <= 0.02%
b) Bank operations are directly affected by downtime
Security of Network
a) No instances of successful breach
b) Bank reputation and therefore revenue are dependent on security
Capacity Planning and deployment of appropriate monitoring & reporting tools
a) Detailed annual planning and compilation of budget
b) Capex and Opex disciplines
Plan, Implement and Manage: H/O LAN (including city office), Union Place building LAN, DR site LAN, Island‐wide branch Network, Bangladesh
Network Connectivity to other financial institutions, Internet Load Balancing, Second and third level Network Troubleshooting, Configuration
Management and Network documentation
External: Liaise with regulators and suppliers to ensure service continuity.
Internal: Update IT Management and develop close work relationships with colleagues at IT and other supporting units.
Build reputation for reliability and superior service with branches and departments.
Problems & challenges:
Maintain a minimum of 99.98% Network availability
JUST IN TIME (JIT) HOLDINGS PVT. LTD June 2006‐ February 2009
[Professional Services Division – Data Networking]
Guide associate network engineers during network implementations and ongoing project maintenance plus Coordinating and working ogether with senior management, project managers and marketing managers for project solutions, design and implementationsCorresponding with principals such as Nortel and Juniper for implementations Research on new solutions and configuration testing of network products and devices Helping sales personnel on RFP documents provided by customers by giving technical side input Presales and post sales support of networking solutions with senior network engineers Attending support calls relating to network division, under management instructions
National Savings Bank WAN/LAN project
Involvement in VLAN, SMLT, and OSPF routing configurations of Nortel Passport 8003 core switches at NSB Head office.
Basic configurations and Diffserv/QoS implementations of Nortel Passport 2430 routers at NSB branch offices.
Setting up trunking and VLAN settings for Nortel BayStack 425 access switches at NSB Head office.
Facilitating routing configuration for secondary WAN link provider for NSB branches
Sri Lanka Telecom Radius Load Balancing project
Upgrading OS for the Nortel Alteon 2208 Application Switches
Configuration of the AS2208 for load balancing SLT RADIUS authentication / accounting sessions between RADIUS servers.
Sri Lanka Telecom MPLS phase III expansion project
Installing four M320 Juniper core routers in SLT premises.
Involve in configuring basic connectivity, protocol setup, MPLS, LDP/RSVP multicasting and QoS features as per the core
network functional requirements.
Sri Lanka Telecom Broadband Service Router implementation
Installing three Juniper E120 routers at SLT premises.
Involve in configuring basic connectivity, QoS, virtual routers and services as for SLT’s ADSL and IPTV customer
Sri Lanka Telecom Service Aggregation in ISP network project
Installing Juniper MX960 routers at SLT premises.
Configuring BGP peering of routers with SLT’s G/Ws and core routers
JUST IN TIME (JIT) HOLDINGS PVT. LTD June 2006‐ December 2006
[Professional Services Division – Data Networking]
Associate Network Engineer
Working alongside a senior network engineer or network architect to successfully complete and deliver network projects
carried ut by JIT.
• Corresponding with principals such as Nortel and Juniper
• Research on new solutions and configuration testing of network products and devices
• Helping sales personnel on RFP documents provided by customers by giving technical side input
• Presales and post sales support of networking solutions with senior network engineers
• Attending support calls relating to network division, under management instructions
INFORMATICS INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (IIT) January 2006‐May‐2006
[IT Department ‐ Lab]
System Support Officer
Performing network administration functions at the systems room to support the network services within the institute.
• Installations and maintenance of IIT domain, mail, proxy servers
• Assuring the security of the IIT network and student labs
• Installations and maintenance of system room network devices and IIT network infrastructure
• Performing network configuration alterations for supporting student project requirements and testing needs
SRILANKAN AIRLINES LTD, KATUNAYAKE January 2004‐January 2006
[Network & Communication Systems Department, IT]
Coordinate with controllers, network Administrators and Engineers in order to carry out day‐to‐day work and timely update the status
• Identify and analyze operational problems and take appropriate corrective actions to ensure minimum downtime of the network.
• Carry out preventive maintenance to ensure high availability of the entire network, SCS and associated network devices.
• Self‐update of the knowledge related to LAN/WAN equipments, OS, business and office applications and transfer the knowledge to peers and subordinates in order to maintain the smooth operatio of network.